CROSBY, TEXAS. Crosby is on FM 2100 near the Southern Pacific tracks two miles north of Hwy 90 and just outside the Houston city limits in eastern Harris County. The town was named for G. J. Crosby, a railroad construction engineer.
Charlie Karcher opened the first store there in 1865, and the town quickly became a retail and shipping center for lumber and agricultural products from between the San Jacinto River and Cedar Bayou. A post office opened at the community in 1877, and in 1884 Crosby reported a population of fifty, a school, a Baptist church, and a general store.
By 1891 it still had fifty inhabitants, as well as a Methodist church, two livestock stables, and a general store. Local legend reports that the community had received the nickname Lick Skillet by 1898. In 1905 it had one school with four teachers and 122 students. There were 300 people in Crosby in 1925 and 600 in 1929, when it became a banking center. Its population fell to 300 during the Great Depression but grew to 750 during World War II and then rose to 900, where it remained for most of the next twenty-five years.
Crosby reported fifty businesses and a population of 2,500 in 1976. In the early 1990s Crosby reported 238 businesses and a population estimated at 1,888, though considerably more people lived in the area at that time. In 2000 the population was 1,714 with 455 businesses.
TODAY: Crosby, Texas
The Crosby Community
Nestled in the oaks and pines east of Lake Houston, Crosby ISD is an easy half-hour drive to downtown Houston and just over half an hour to the two major airports. The morning and evening commutes are devoid of the traffic congestion found in many parts of the Greater Houston area.
Over a score of churches serve the area and a growing number of merchants are locating in Crosby. Active youth sports programs are available year round. Major residential subdivisions with country club amenities spur the growth of the community.
Crosby is a place where your family can feel at home and where your child will be provided with a topflight education.
Crosby Real Estate Listings
Active Listings in Crosby
- 16214 Augusta Oaks Court Crosby, TX 77532
- 318 American Black Bear Drive Crosby, TX 77532
- 17718 Port O Call Street Crosby, TX 77532
- 13619 Kodiak Brown Bear Street Crosby, TX 77532
- 17415 Port O Call Street Crosby, TX 77532
- 15523 Hudson Valley Court Crosby, TX 77532
- 15510 Hudson Valley Court Crosby, TX 77532
- 15526 Hudson Valley Court Crosby, TX 77532
- 15514 Hudson Valley Court Crosby, TX 77532
- 16141 Forecastle Street Crosby, TX 77532
- 2302 Deer Trace Court Crosby, TX 77532
Crosby School Data
Crosby School Districts
- Crosby Independent School District
- Newport Elementary School
- 3-4, public
- Crosby High School
- 9-12, public
- Crosby Middle School
- 7-8, public
- Barrett Primary School
- 1-2, public
- Drew Intermediate School
- 5-6, public
- Sacred Heart Catholic School
- PK-8, private
- Sacred Heart School
- K-8, private
- Reed’s Preparatory School
- PK-2, private
- Hc Jjaep – Excel Academy
- 5-12, public
- Crosby International Academy
- K-12, private
- Crosby Crossroads Academy
- 9-12, public
- Crosby Elementary School
- 1-5, public